It's summertime in Tokyo, Japan. Temperatures hold a steady 31-34C (87-94F) with around 70% humidity. Actually, today it is raining, and the thermometer reads 31C (87F), but the "feels like" temperature reads 37C (98F). I'm not bothered much by the heat or the high humidity, but I do change my daily carry to make things a little easier for myself. I don't like carrying a heavy bag that I have to carry across my body, for instance. I've found this setup with a small pouch style purse and a tote bag to work very well.
The contents of the pouch purse. The purse itself was bought at Universal Studios Japan, I went there for the very first time last year and had an absolute blast. Jaws is one of my all time favourite films, so I was excited to see a lot of cute merchandise.
- glasses wipe
- phone (not pictured because used to take the picture.....)
Since I've switched over to a small wallet for my summer carry, I don't carry the ridiculous amount of point cards / customer loyalty cards I normally do. It's probably for the better, those things accumulate and I never seem to end up actually using them. I do carry around a few essentials, though. In addition to ID and bank card, I carry the following:
- Suica public transport travel card
- annual passort for Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea
- point card for Kojima, a chain of pet stores (I own a cat)
I bought the tote bag a few years back when the Finnish ballet was touring Japan and did a performance of Moomin and the Magician's Hat. It's probably the most playful ballet I've ever experienced, and watching huge Moomin characters dance ballet was something I'll probably never forget.
Contents (left to right, back to front):
- Cheshire Cat hand/face towel. Public restrooms in Japan often do not offer paper towels by the sink to dry your hands, most people carry around small towels. It's also convenient in summer to wipe sweat off of your forehead and neck. You can also soak it in water and put it on top of your head to cool off if needed.
- UV-cut scarf/cape. For when I want some extra protection from the sun, or if I sit indoors at a cafe and they're blasting the AC way too cold.
- Disneyland themed pouch with mobile battery, headphones and cables)
- Alice in Wonderland themed pouch (are you noticing a theme?) with some lady essentials.
- Foldable fan. I know USB/battery driven portable fans are all the rage this year, but I think it looks ridiculous to walk around with a battery driven fan in front of your face, so I'm still doing the manual labour of flapping a foldable fan every once and again.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (part 1, the book is actually split into two books in the Japanese editions...), I always carry some sort of book with me. I started this re-read of Harry Potter ages ago, I'm not sure why it's taking so long. I love seeing how everything is translated and localized for a Japanese audience.
- Sun block
- "Ice cold body sheets", Deodarant wipes with cooling effect. A life saver when I've been walking around outside a lot and then enter a cafe or whatever. Gives that refreshment I need to feel fresh and ready to sit close to other people.
And that's it!